Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ecstasy and Molotov responses

I suppose the general theme of both articles is "what exactly are we entitled to as artists?" With concepts and ideas created from your own mind, what happens when a similar concept or idea appears. The same goes for images and sounds and writings. It gets even more confusing when an artist is knowleadgable of the others' work, even 'stealing' or coyping a portion of it, or even the whole thing.
I kind of enjoy the idea of cryptomnesia. It really gives the feel that, even throughout history, without ever knowing it, you yourself as an artist may resonate in a precise and identical way to another artist somewhere that you don't even know. I always find myself worrying about subconsciously putting things into my artistic works, that may be considered plaguerism and i wouldn't even realize it. But I suppose after so many centuries of artistic creation and human nature playing out, there are only so many general themes and occurances that one can go through without repeating. Personally I believe there are only three main themes to human life that ever really matter in art: Sex, Love, and Death. (and i'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere.)
The Molotov man was an intersting case study of rights and ownership. It worked out for the best between Susan and Joy (both received much more press and business b/c of it i feel). But both learned an important lesson about human rights, artistic interpretation, and when not to sue an artist with a vast amount of crazy friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment