Monday, April 12, 2010

Rough Theater

I feel as though in an odd twist of fate, my rough theater has (for whatever reason) become dance. And not an artistic, sensual style of dance (though some may strongly dispute that). But more along the lines of an eccentric, stylized version of hip swaying and arm movements.
As we've already seen through several projects this year, if someone should be called upon to perform a little jig, it is Tory. Whether it be all around Wilmington, or at a bar, everyone now expects me to dance when they want a mini show.
I don't mind performing my dance moves (the titular "hair gel" has become the most recognizable), I'm just not sure where it neccessarily started. It might have been senior year of high school, when i took part in the Mr. OCHS competition/ fundraiser (it was basically a faux talent show for senior guys to try and raise money). We had to perform several synchronized dances on stage, which is where i realized I actually could dance. Unfortunately, after 4 years I've put on some weight and my bones are creaky, but I can stilll whip out a good move here and there. I suppose the actions of dancing upon command to perform for others does count in the category of rough theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment